Safety orange mask with retro reflective text reading “Safety First.” Flashes bright white when light shines on it.
UNIQUE AND EFFECTIVE
My handmade mask designs are a mix of original work, collaged internet images, and licensed fonts. They each make their own statements, but they all say, “I take my health and your health seriously.”
They are made from heavyweight1 cotton and denim repurposed from thrifted t-shirts, jackets, and garments. A significant amount of research has been completed about the best materials to use for masks, and I’ve employed these studies234 to ensure that as unique as they are, these masks provide an effective layer of protection.
I believe in upcycling used clothing when I can to reduce waste and support slow fashion, however in some cases masks may include new quilter’s cotton.
These masks are designed using several patterns based on an Olson-style mask that I modified incorporating feedback from my test group. The resulting designs suit their needs and satisfy my desire to give you the best quality, style, and ultimate comfort. I also have modified a single panel mask pattern so that I can create designs which are unimpeded by a center seam.
These masks include three layers of fabric: The outer cotton layer, the mid-weight interfacing, and the cotton liner. All masks come with a filter pocket offering an optional fourth layer.
Many nose bridge wires were tested, and these masks include the clear winner—a wide, firm, aluminum wire that will form to your nose to create a seal. This helps to reduce the fogging of glasses, but it is not 100% effectual. Here are some methods to help with fogging glasses.
ADJUSTABLE FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT
The cheek lengths are adjustable and Velcro straps allow you to utilize the face attachment system you prefer. You can use ear loops such as hair bands, elastic, or t-shirt yarn, or you can use a system of ties that go behind the crown of your head and neck with any kind of tie you prefer. I like shoelaces!
When adjusting your mask, make sure it…
- Fits snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
- Completely covers the nose and mouth
- Is secured with ties or ear loops
- Includes multiple layers of fabric
- Allows for breathing without restriction
- Can be laundered and machine dried without damage or change to shape
– Machine-washable (use delicates bag on delicate cycle). Hand washing recommended.
– Adjustable fit for snug seal at the contact points on your face
– Filter Pocket
– Adjustable Nose Wire
– Three layers of fabric for a balance of protection and breathability
– Available in medium and large (This guide may be helpful to decide which size you need.)
– These are modified Olson style masks
– Inside of masks feature contrasting fabric
1- The majority of the time. Sometimes I may find a shirt with a design on it that comes from a thinner cotton t-shirt. I recommend the use of an additional filter to go in the pocket.
On masks and aerosol spray: